Sunday, September 21, 2008

Egypt Day 6 & 7: Cairo

Day 6: We arrived in Cairo at noontime and we went to the restaurant and then the hotel.  We did not visit any places of significance today.

Day 7:  I couldn't believe that we were in Egypt for 7 days already.  It felt more like two or three days.  We visited several places to make a great finish to our trip in Egypt.  We visited the Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx, a sound and light show and we went to the Khan-al-Khalili shopping market. The main reason that I came to Egypt was actually to see the pyramids and the Sphinx.  But after coming, I realized that there was so much more to Egypt that just the pyramids.  But on seeing the pyramids, I was so happy and so amazed at the sheer scale on which these monstrous structures were built.  I expected them to be slightly smaller actually.

At the Sphinx, I found out that it was actually a mistake.  The King who built the middle pyramid wanted a statue of himself there.  So he made the face and the headdress.  After that, he dug into the ground to find more stone but he found that his statue was on a very shallow stone so he gave his statue the body of an animal.

At the Khan-al-Khalili market, we shopped for many small Egyptian items.  It was much cheaper than it was everywhere else.  I bought a scarab and put it on the chain.  The place was crowded but it was still enjoyable.

Finally, at sunset, we went for a sound and light show.  I must be honest and say that I think that is was boring and it was a waste.  It was at the Sphinx with the pyramids in the background.  The show told us the history of the pyramids and the Sphinx.  I already knew 3/4's of the information that they told us.

Overall, I loved Egypt and I wish that this trip had lasted longer.  I am truly lucky to have been a part of this trip.  The best part for me on this trip was seeing on of the man-made modern wonders of the world.  The Pyramids of Giza.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home